Scuba Diving with an Electric Ray
Enjoy scuba diving with us and an electric ray or "marble ray" in the shallows of the Caribbean sea. We swam with this amazing ray for about 15 minutes on a twilight dive. The ray seemed to have little interest in divers, and went about his business as usual. We often see many skates and Southern Stingrays in this area, but the electric ray made his appearance for one night only. Luckily, we were there to dive alongside him.
Interesting Electric Ray Facts
- The electric ray can bury itself in the sand, and ambush hunt its prey.
- The ray can stun and kill its prey with an electric charge around its body.
- The electrical charge created by an electric ray can harm humans who try to touch it!
- Electric rays can live up to 20 years!
- They can also weigh up to 200 lbs.